A history of Hazelwood Road

A 1930s view, photo courtesy Birmingham Libraries
A 1930s view, photo courtesy Birmingham Libraries

Hazelwood Road is one of the most pleasant roads in Acocks Green. It has been home to large and grand houses, refugees and politicians, builders and ballet dancers, nurseries, and tennis and bowling clubs. The Residents' Association asked if a history of the road could be produced for their members, and out of that request these webpages were born. We are grateful to Acocks Green Library for the use of photographs, and to Pat Jones, Doug Wilson, Arthur and Kath Huckfield and others who have helped us with memories and information, including deeds.

 

It is now possible to see the sequence of large-scale O.S. maps online at www.old-maps.co.uk. For this road enter the co-ordinates 411739 and 282877, and choose the 1:2,500 maps up until 1952-4 (there is no map at this scale for the 1930s). Use the enhanced zoom and the plus and minus buttons to change how close you wish to see the houses. The map can be dragged by using click and hold as normal.

 

Hazelwood Road

The nineteenth century

The early twentieth century

Between the wars

Wartime

After 1945

The Bradley family

Memories of Eileen Staley née Bradley

 

Return to AGHS Homepage