Acocks Green Baptist church
This is very much a preliminary note about the church, as the information does not cover the last fifty years. YouTube has videos about the church and its activities today.
Victoria County History
A History of the County of Warwick: Volume 7: The City of Birmingham
Alexander Road, Acock's Green chapel was opened in 1903 (9) at a cost, exclusive of furnishings, of £2,260, (10) and was built on land presented by J. Walker. (11). Designed by Ingall and Son of Birmingham in the 'free Gothic' style it provided sittings for 300. (12). A new chapel, seating 470, was completed in 1914 for £4,177. (13). The church, formed in 1903, stemmed from a meeting of local Baptists gathered by Walker in 1902, (14) and for some time received help from Coventry Road (15). Membership was 23 in 1904, 232 in 1914, (16) and 252 in 1956 (17).
9 Baptist Handbook 1956
10 Baptist Handbook 1905, page 442
11 Birmingham Post, 21 February 1914.
12 Baptist Handbook 1905, page 442.
13 Baptist Handbook 1915, page 486; and Birmingham Post, 21 February 1914
14 A. S. Langley, Birmingham Baptists, Past and Present, page 67
15 Ibid., page 167
16 Birmingham Post, 21 February 1914.
17 Baptist Handbook 1956
The following images are from a document detailing the community use of the church premises as much as the religious activities, and is very useful historically for that. One caveat is that there appears to be an inconsistency on the last page regarding the wartime actitivies of the Young People's Fellowship when compared with the rest of the text.
The text can be enlarged by clicking on the images.